In November 1996 the Bandon Lions Club initiated the design phase of the Sprague Theater construction. By the end of the following year, an architect was found, a non-profit organization was created, and a fundraising plan was established.
In January 1998, the first grant was awarded which set the foundation for the fundraising phase which eventually totaled $1.7 Million.
Ground breaking began in July 1999 and the theater auditorium was ready for its first stage play, “South Pacific,” a Bandon Playhouse production, opened in September 2000.
Since then the theater has been fully equipped for community events.
The Sprague Community Theater is equipped with all the necessary facilities and functions to conduct its operations:
- Spacious, glass lined Lobby comfortably adorned for 246 patrons
- Ticket office in Lobby (box office staff can be hired)
- Snack Bar in Lobby – equipped with sink, refrigerator, coffee maker, pantry, service counter and tables
- Restrooms – Men, Women, Assisted – all spacious to quickly accommodate patron
- Wireless headset communication between Techs and Stage during functions
- JVC Digital projection system
- Behringer X32 Digital sound board
- Programmable lighting system – DMX
- Spot lights (2)
- CD Player
- Toshiba Laptop computer equipped with Virtual DJ Professional Software
- Director’s table with comfortable seating
- Theater seating for 246 (Vinyl covered, heavily cushioned loge seats)
- Handicapped seating at rear of auditorium
- Acoustically-correct Design
- Sound system (5.1 Surround Sound)
- Covered Orchestra Pit – comfortable seating for 15 musicians (drum platform) and Yamaha 88-weighted-key Digital Piano
- Fly gallery – 2 drops, scrim, full projection screen (30′ x 15′)
- Drapery: Rear black drapery, 3 – black leg sets, full main curtain (draw or fly)
- Electrical line sets (3) – equipped with 25+ Fresnel light fixtures
- Scenery line sets (6)
- Music Stands (20) and Lights (20)
- Microphones – wired, wireless hand held, wireless headset
- Dressing rooms (2) – spacious – 2 mirrored walls with make-up/prep counters, costume racks, private restroom
- Backstage assembly area and cast area
- Closed circuit television system so cast can see what is occurring on stage
- Director’s counter
- Racks of chairs
The Sprague Community Theater is fully equipped with safety protection systems: fire, alarms, extinguishers and sprinklers, fire curtain at the stage proscenium. In the Lobby there is a portable defibrillator unit.